Friday, July 23, 2010

Vanguard's Creation Process








I started off with a quick sketch of the skeletal structure of a stegosaurus, to get a feel of the body of a stegosaurus. I decided to make him more humanoid to accommodate the features necessary for him to be read as cowboy. I played with different perspectives to see which one could show both the dinosaur and cowboy features of the character.

I then went on to play with body shapes. I tried some different shapes to fit a personality of a person of the old west, but ultimately felt a simplified version of the stegosaurus' body would work well. I used tear drop shape for his body. I then moved onto the head. I first tried an exaggerated snout but when the eyes were placed on the head he would come across as either a slick villain or a goofy slapstick character. I was looking for a more of a staunch defender. I shortened the snout and gave him a scowl and more centered eyes. This made him appear more focused and aggressive. Ready to defend. As a prop i gave the character a twig to protrude from his mouth. It acts as a cigarette, but with stegosaurus' being herbivores I felt it was a nice touch.

I had decided that I wanted this character's role to be a Sheriff. I felt his name was best suited for that role. Vanguard meaning "the foremost division or the front part of an army." I then when to find a pose that was easily readable and fit that role as sheriff. I went for the shootout pose but it felt worn out. I decided on a "stick 'em up" pose. I liked the action and felt it was easy readable.

No comments:

Post a Comment